Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Book Thief & Crayfish

One of my gems has a new nickname...The Book Thief. It used to be Plumber Bottom but I finally had a talk with his mother.   That talk went something like:

"Do you know P.B. hasn't worn underwear for weeks? NO? Well, I know this because we've all had many viewings of his bottom lately. I think a belt is in order.

He has been a challenge all year: constantly off-task, his items fill my June Box, his scissors have been confiscated due to inappropriate usage, no sense of remorse, defiant. I think I've mentioned before how rich with gems I am  this year.

But I digress, on to the new nickname...

This week, we took our classes into the Scholastic Book Fair during our library time. The kids can bring money to buy or browse and drag their parents back after school. I've never had a problem before but when the organizer came over and said she had taken a book away from someone she thought was trying to steal it, I just nodded my head and thought, "Of course. With this group why had I not prepared myself for that scenario?"

So she points to good ole P.B. and I watch him for a few minutes. Sure enough, the stinker gets another copy of the book, lays his red sweatshirt down on the carpet, and painstakingly wraps the book up and sticks it under his armpit! I'm not sure if I was more shocked that he had the audacity to try to steal a 2nd time or that he put so much effort into it! If he put half that much precision towards his writing perhaps it would look less like a preschooler's.

Needless to say, he was marched to the office where the principal called his parents and he wrote an apology to the book fair organizer (which I am certain she wasn't able to decipher.)

During PE the next hour he took his shoes off and ran around the track in socks which is a known NO NO. {I had to crack down on an "Oops, my shoe fell off" contagion that infected my class recently.} So, I benched him from participating. He kept getting off the bench, trying to play. I finally got really firm and said, "KEEP YOUR BOTTOM ON THE BENCH AND DO NOT TOUCH A JUMP ROPE!"

And do you know what he did?

 He looked right at me, stuck his foot out, and touched the jump rope! OH NO HE DIDN'T! The old me would have calmly said, "Well, that was a bad choice" but I am pretty sure that after this LLLOOONNNGGG year I looked more like this.

 I sent him right back to the principal and she wisely had him remain there until his mother came.

Every morning I give myself a pep talk. "Smile. Take deep breaths. Remember the sweeties."
One of those cuties wrote this book about teachers .

Are you reading between the lines?  

That is supposed to be me on the cover. I dyed my hair with a box for the first time ever. It was labeled light brown with blonde but there is a red hue, especially in the sun. I'm calling it strawberry brown. Did I just make up a new hair color?  I have had two former parents refer to me as a redhead and now this young lady chose her orange crayon. Perhaps it was a little more red than I thought?
Do I look exhausted or what? I am also a stress eater so I put weight back on, darn it!

On a more positive note, I did have fun crayfishing during Science Lab with my class on Friday. 

Of course, my class was the only one to have someone fall in the pond!
It was his birthday, too! He looked like he wasn't sure if he should be upset or not so I quickly whispered a secret to him, "Both my boys fell in the pond, too!" True fact. He grinned from ear to ear.

I leave you with this adorable video of this darling singing the crayfish song in hopes of catching one.


8 more days!!!!


Separator

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I've had a year like that...8 days can't come soon enough (I bet).

    This year I've been blessed - done more FUN/Theme things than ever, it just depends on the mix & number of kiddos. My toughest years had classes of 28ish.

    Love the crayfishing & song!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean! I have a "few" gems in my class too! I can picture those exact things happening with some of mine too. This is the time of year where EVERY behaviour management trick I can think of comes into play...

    Enjoy the rest of your year!!

    Amanda
    First Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you, girl! Your gems sound a LOT like a few of mine. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes, we may feel like we are the only ones that this happens to- I certainly do :)
    -Michele
    New Adventures in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there! Just keep thinking it is almost over!!! I think you look great and that we should all just see ourselves in the most positive light we can. Now I just have to work on that for myself! lol
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go for your principal! We are a k-8 school and I feel as if ours lets the little ones get away with things like that because 'they're young'!

    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog
    My TpT Store

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a stress eater too! I've been eating way to much chocolate this last month. Only a few more days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! We have the same class. Except one of mine actually jumped into the swimming pool at his apartment while waiting for the bus and came to school dripping wet. Three days left and maybe my eye will stop twitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jenn! I am on the opposite side of the U.S., but facing the same challenge this year! I am not even counting down the days of school left - because I am afraid to. I just keep plugging along. I think it is my 2nd most challenging year ever!

    I read on Heather's Heart blog, she writes the initials of a "little gem" on her hand daily & prayers for them the night before & every time she sees the initials during the day she praises them or rubs their back, etc. That is what I am going to do all this week! It has to make a difference.

    :) Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cracking up over Plumber Bottom!!!!!!!!! Ha!!!! At my school, our quote is, "SAY NO TO CRACK!!!" :)
    I think I've told you before, but my class last year was really really really rough. I am just nodding along to all you wrote! It stinks for the well behaved kids!! Hang in there! I have 8 more days, too! More like 7 and a half because our last day is a minumum. :) I think we might possibly teach in the same school district, but I don't know and I'm not telling! :)
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to read your post and the comments...I'm not alone in this jouorney!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Speaking of The Book Theif......One of the BEST books I've ever read! So good! Give it a try this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete