Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Partner Compare/Contrast

My teammate Robi shared this great compare and contrast lesson to introduce thinking maps and encourage partner work.

First, I modeled using a circle map to brainstorm facts about ourselves. Some suggestions were age, family members, pets, favorite color, food, activity and physical attributes such as eye and hair color.
Then partners looked at their circle maps to find what was the same and what was different. They completed double bubble maps comparing themselves. They did a great job!
As they were working I went around and took a picture of the partners. Make sure you have them switch places so their picture will match up with their names on the double bubble when you put them up on the bulletin board!

Not only was this a great lesson on compare/contrast and thinking maps but the partners got to know each other better.

I'm off to find a chick flick to watch while I rework my Back-To-School Night presentation for the parents on Tuesday! I feel like I need a vacation already...not a good sign!

Separator

5 comments:

  1. wow what an impressive idea! How did you get such great spellers and writers your first week of first grade? I am afraid of what the paper would look like if I tried this! This was our first week.
    Did you start with these great writers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reagan,
    I had some of these words on the board from my model. They were told they could draw pictures or use words. I had plenty of creative spelling, too. I also encourage them to use resources in the room (posters, 1st grade helper, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with Back to School Night -- I'm sure it will be great! :)
    Kristin
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE thinking maps! This is a great idea, I will "borrow" this idea for sure :) How did you assign the partners?
    Rachel
    asartiparty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,
    The partners were the person they sit next to.

    ReplyDelete