Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One week down

One week down and things are starting to come together.  I started a behavior plan for my most challenging student and he is showing improvement. The class still has a hard time working quietly but they were able to write silently today once they realized I was serious! They are doing great with Daily Five. We are up to 9 minutes of stamina.

One of my favorite activities to do the first week is a directed self-portrait. The paper has the head circle for them but they draw everything else. They outline in black sharpie before I give them the oil pastels. I leave them up all year and they really add personality to the room.
 I am always amazed at how diverse the development can be in one classroom.
Love the messy hair and red in the corners of his eyes. What details!
This one looks just like him!!!

I have a lot going on so sadly my blogging (posting and reading) has been lacking.  I hope to get back in sync soon. I saw a new blog group by my faves (Cara, Abby, Deanna, etc) started and I will have to go visit soon but right now I have to go to bed!

Separator

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jenn! So glad to hear that your kiddos are gettin' in the swing of things! I love the AdOrAbLe self-portraits-it is so funny how some of their creations actually resemble them! {We made the hippos from my "Hippo-Ray" freebie activity today & one of those hippos actually looks like the little girl that made it! It was sooo funny!}
    Christie :)
    First Grade Fever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love those self portraits! The second one cracked me up! I always have my kids do a self portrait on the first day. I love the idea of making it more of a directed drawing and using pastels instead of crayons. What are your directions for the background? To draw an outside scene?
    Katie xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those are amazing portraits! I love to do comparisons, so they can see how they change from August to May. Good luck getting it all done!

    ReplyDelete