Monday, June 13, 2011

Common Core Question

So I have been hearing a lot about Common Core from all my blog friends but not one word from my district. My district is very large and not very progressive.  We are currently standards-based but with our own state standards.
I see on the Common Core website that my state, California, has adopted them. I just sent an email to our curriculum director asking where our district stands on implementing these.

I noticed 2 big differences in the math from my state standards:
1. NO MONEY??? Did I miss it?
2. Fractions -we currently don't do these. I have no problem with it although I am realizing our math curriculum (Envisions) doesn't support it.

So my questions to you are:
1. Are/have you implemented Common Core? ( I am curious how behind my district is.)
2. Is it your belief that having common standards throughout the country IS going to happen, it is just a matter of time?

I personally like the idea and I am thinking it will help when I create math games, etc to keep these in mind.

Separator