Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Writing Process

I finally got around to updating my Writing Process posters.
I included the traditional 5 steps: Prewrite, Draft, Revise, Edit, and Publish.

However, I also included the variations I use with my 1st graders.  For instance, I think Prewrite is a little confusing for 6 year olds so I broke it into the two parts of Think and Plan. I've found that many kids (and adults) brainstorm but skip the planning and just start writing.

I ask my class to read their story over with their whisper phones (I made them out of PVC.) The kids love to use them and it is a great way for them to realize they left out a word (or two or three...)
I also switched over from traditional editing marks to writing the capital in green crayon and the ending mark in red crayon. The color seemed to help them notice to make the change on their final draft better.
I have students sign up for conferences after they have tried to edit and revise on their own first. I thought I might try to use name magnets or clips on the posters this year.
The students LOVE to share but there is never enough time for everyone. Again, maybe 3 magnets or clips from this poster could be picked at random.

Do you stick with the original 5 or use a variation? Maybe a little mix and match?

Get your own set for $3 in my TpT store by clicking {HERE.} 

Leave me a comment and I'll pick 1 winner tomorrow to email a set to. Your comment can be about this post, telling me you pinned this, that you are now following my TpT store, whatever you'd like.

I'm bummed today because one of our cats, Shadow, has been missing for 1 week now. This happened one other time and she did come home the 2nd week so I am trying to keep my hopes up that someone is taking care of her.




Separator