Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Fact Family Freebie

I forgot how much I hate the Envision 15.2 worksheet on Fact Families. Let's not see if they can actually understand how to write all 4 related facts with the larger numbers before asking them to write them ALL with the answer FIRST. Addition is no problem but understanding that the whole has to go in the middle for the subtraction sentences is tough. Oh, and then on the assessment there are none in that format. Huh?

I taught the part-part-whole method which I like but I also wanted my firsties to connect better with the vocabulary of fact family and related facts. I was explaining how you are related to your family and one of my smarties piped up, "Yea, that's why they are called relatives." So I know HE got it but for the rest, I made a more concrete fact family. I got this idea from Gladys at  Teaching in High Heels.
I hung these characters on the white board and we moved them around, making all 4 related facts. The numbers are sticky notes so I could easily change the numbers. My students wrote their answers on white boards and held them up. I love this because I can easily see who gets it quickly and who looks around in confusion.  Gladys had another good tip about telling the kids that only the 3 family numbers belonged in the house and they didn't let in strange numbers. This TOTALLY worked. During white board practice I heard one of my girls say, "Johnny, you let strangers in your house! 10 and 5 aren't part of the family!"

Here is the worksheet I made for independent practice.  Leave me a comment if you like this or are just glad it is FRIDAY!! I am SOOO ready for vacation. Do you have the week off like we do?
Fact Families


Separator

23 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these fact families!! What a friendly way to teach math. Have a great week off!

    Amy
    The Crazy Adventures of a University Graduate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the same idea from Gladys last week!!! I need to make way cuter family members but my kids totally got it and they have retained it through this week so far! Yeah!!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo cute! I just love it. I taught fact families yesterday to my firsties. Your blog is great! I am your newest follower. Come check out my blog and give me your input -- I'm a newbie. :o)
    ~ Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the week off, too!! So necessary :)
    ❤Teri

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out Jenn! I've been meaning to write a post about this "fact family" trick...but just haven't had time...so thanks for blogging about it! ;)

    Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just finished a unit on fact families, and I wish I had had these when I was teaching it! Thanks for sharing, because I will definitely be using them later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate that Envisions lesson too-- and FORGOT until we had already started! How could we have blacked that out? :) Glad I'm not the only one... happy teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you happen to have those cute litte characters available? Did you draw them?!?

    We have the week off too...Ahhhhh

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew them looking at the clipart. My scanner isn't working at the moment or I'd post them for you. If I can get it working over break I will share.

      Delete
  9. I like these, Jenn. Thanks. Nope. No time off for me :)

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have Monday off...and Envision is trying to kill me.
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue Skies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Don't you wonder who was on the team that said, "Yep, this will be a great lesson for 1st graders."

      Delete
  11. I hate that lesson too! And a couple others :) Thanks for the freebie.

    Amy
    Krazy About Kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe we both have HM and enVision! Do we teach in the same district??!!! :) :) :)
    I can't stand that lesson - I am so happy you have this! Downloading now. THANK YOU!
    Happy 3 Day Weekend!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we were in the same district! Then we could hang out in person!

      Delete
  13. I hate all of Envision..grumble grumble.. Give me my Saxon back that is actually developmentally appropriate. Anyhoo, thanks for the freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have the same problem with EveryDay Math. I love this! I wish I had this idea when I was teaching it. I might use it for my group who are getting it.

    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this concept to teach fact families!! Where did you get the adorable family??? Thanks for sharing.
    Barbara
    happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew the family from some cute clipart I found for the worksheet.

      Delete
  16. I am glad I am not the only teacher that hates the way 15-2 is formatted. We talked to the rep from Evisions to ask why they taught that way first and they didn't know - really frustrating!

    So, do you use this worksheet instead of the consumable?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah,
    Yes, this is one consumable that I think is worth totally skipping!

    ReplyDelete