Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

100th Day Fun!

My favorite part of 100th day is the old people art. This year we used wallpaper instead of fabric for the shirts.We made a circle map of what we might be like when we were 100 and then wrote about it.
I love how she piled the hair on top like a bun!

This guy told me he purposefully took most of the cotton off so it would look the fuzz he has on his head and it does!


I do it TLC style so I don't have templates to share.  I just precut the rectangles and the kids follow my oral directions to trim it into a head, etc.

We made crowns and glasses again this year.  You can click here to get links for these.
 We read 100th Day books.
The student favorite by far though was the Fruit Loop necklaces. It is always interesting to see who strings by color, who creates a pattern, or those that don't give a hoot and just want to be able to eat them!

 They had to count out the 100 pieces by tens first.You can get the sorting sheet here.
I got smart this year and taped one end of their string to the desk so no one had their loops fall off halfway through!
Last, but not least,  Wildlife Associates brought amazing animals for us to meet. I didn't get pictures but here is one from their site.

We were visited by a
  • Canada Lynx
  • Snowy Owl
  • Coatimundi
  • Coendou (Prehensile tailed porcupine)
  • White Tailed Kite 
It was so cool! This was a perfect lead in to our animal adaptations unit coming up and a great way to end a special day.

Separator

15 comments:

  1. I love those 100 yr olds. I can't wait to make ours. We have 16 more days to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tying the ends to their desks is so smart!

    And your 100 year old people are what I hope mine look like next year! I'll have to remember the wallpaper tip!! :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Their writing for when they will be 100 yrs old are so good and hilarious!!! WAY TO GO, TEACH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "and I'll be kind of grumpy." Hilarious!!

    Jodi
    fun-in-first.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super fun day! I love the little old people art! =)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue Skies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their self portraits came out soooo adorable! I need to try to incorporate something like this into my small reading groups! They are just toooooo cute!!
    ❤Mrs. McKown
    Little Literacy Learners

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove the old people, I can't wait to make mine next week!!
    ♥Teri

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have your sorting sheet for the fruit loops that you might share for us to download?
    Terry
    CA
    THYordan@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Terry. I added the link above in the post.

      Delete
  9. Love the self portraits!!! Adorable!
    I had a parent volunteer cut the string, tape one end (so the fruit loop could go on easily) and then tie one fruit loop at the bottom to prevent any fruit loops from falling off. :) Worked like a charm. Maybe next year I'll tape it to their desks!!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. soo cute! we have the 100th day on Monday :) I'm super excited!!! I tagged you on my blog so come by and check it out :) http://thelandof2ndgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend and I do the same portraits but last year she had the kids "wrinkle" the paper first before gluing the heads down for "authentic" wrinkles! Yours turned out adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so not an art person and I really want my people to look as good as yours next year. Can you tell me the size of the rectangle and the oral directions you gave? It is like cooking. I have to have a recipe. LOL. Did they trace the oval?

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my gosh...those 'old' people are so stinking cute! Our 100th day is this wednesday...I am so trying this out! Plus I like the twist on the writing prompt.

    ReplyDelete