Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

A Visit From Conan

This was me this week. Insomnia is my new nemesis (now that my laptop is fixed.)

3 nights in a row I got about 3 hours of sleep. I just can't shut my brain off. Being on the computer seems to make it worse. I've even had nights when numbers/letters are running past my eyes like a ticker tape. FREAK, right? 
To make things even more fun, my husband was out of town (again) so this mom was on duty 24-7.

The third night I woke up suddenly at 12:17 AM. My first thought was, darn it, I was FINALLY sleeping!! Then I realized that something had woken me up. I heard voices! I peered into the hallway and saw light coming from the kitchen!

ARE BURGLARS IN THE HOUSE???

It probably didn't help that a friend had just told me that there was a daytime break-in in our neighborhood last week and the woman was home! She had to hide and call the police who then instructed her to run out the front door to a neighbor. Sorry, different story. But it is related because between that, my husband being out of town, and my serious lack of sleep, I was FREAKED OUT! 

I first checked on my kids but they were sound asleep.  I grabbed my cell phone and had 911 ready.... I finally got up the nerve to tiptoe down the hall to investigate. The floorboards squeaked before I took 4 steps. I froze and listened intently. Wait a sec. I know that voice. It's Conan O'Brien! In my hazy state I remembered that I turned the TV off but not the separate stereo speaker. DORK.  But wait, why was the light on?? Even exhausted I didn't think I would forget to turn off the lights before I went to bed.

Still uneasy, I went around testing every door and of course they were locked and everything was fine. I checked every room and I'll admit it, behind the shower curtain.  Those darn movies!

I didn't sleep much after that because I kept hearing things. I swear there was a SPLAT sound I couldn't for the life of me figure out. Anyone else ever play mind games like this when they are home alone?

I am happy to say, the next night I finally slept. The funny thing was, the next day my brain seemed to be misfiring more than the previous days.  First, I accidentally wrote a student's name in the sentence I was writing on the board because I was talking to him. The kids loved that one. Then I spelled ocean without the a. When I caught my mistake one sweetie piped up, "Oh,  I thought you were testing us." Must be all the daily editing. :-) There were some other mistakes that I can't even remember, but the kids just shook their collective heads and said knowingly, "Her brain is just not working right today!"

The light is still a mystery. My boys sometimes sleepwalk so it is possible one of them thought they were in the bathroom. Yes, sleep peeing has happened. Victims have been a closet, out in the garage and a near miss in the refrigerator! I scared the poor kid to death that night when I came running, screaming STOP!!!!! 

 Sweet dreams my friends!








Separator

8 comments:

  1. Hope you get some sleep! (when I read the title, I was thinking Conan as in Conan the Barbarian! lol)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those mind games are the worst! That's why I can't watch scary movies, because my imagination just runs! Hopefully you'll get a lot of rest this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband used to travel a lot for his job and it was just me and the dog, so my mind did those games all the time. I would love when he came home, not just to see him, but to sleep! :) Hoping you get lots of rest this weekend!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I remember one night in HS, my friend and I were alone and we heard a strange noise... we then proceeded to search the house with a scissor handy, just in case! The noise ended up being FIREWORKS, lol!

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my husband travels, I take ONE Tylenol PM. It does the trick. Two is too many. :) How scary for you!!!! And that's hilarious about your sleep walking son - I'm sure you woke him RIGHT UP!!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freak out like that, too! One week, every night around 1:00 my dogs would start barking like mad! It would freak me out thinking that someone was trying to get in the house. One night I SWEAR I hear the back gate in my backyard open and shut a few times and I called my neighbor over to check things out. They came over in their pjs!!! Yah, I totally understand! I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight!


    Rebecca
    Teaching First

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things freak me out all the time like that! Glad you got some sleep! I am your newest follower!

    Kim
    Growing Up Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was HUH-larious, at least now in the light of day right? I am always waking up in the middle of the night hearing things. I hate that. Hopefully you won't be getting any visits from Jay Leno anytime soon! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete