Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Thinking Maps and Book Clubs

Do you use Thinking Maps? We do and I really like them. Our school has decided to make a big push for ALL students to know and be able to use ALL the maps.

I am trying to use multiple maps a day and incorporate them in my bulletin boards. For example, here is the snow globe inspired by Deanna Jump but I paired it with a tree map that we made on the story structure of The Snow Globe Family.
 Here are the map circles I posted about last year but this year I added a bridge map!

Are you familiar with the bridge map? It is for analogies and at first I was like, really? In first grade you want me to do analogies? But my wonderful teammate, Robi, showed me how to make the relating factor more kid-friendly and she inspired me to use them with our phonics/grammar, etc. skill every day and it is working out great!
I took the pic before we filled the bridge in. The two words that make the contraction go underneath them.

I like seeing how others use thinking maps so I thought you might, too even though they aren't beautiful. I could post how I use them in writing if you are interested? I'd love to hear how you use them. It is pretty cool to talk to a student not in your class and still have that common language.

I also wanted to let you know I have some new Book Club packets available to keep those high kiddos challenged. The first is a Ready Freddy 2-pack: Caterpillars on the Move! and Good Morning, Groundhog! There is even a double bubble map in there to compare and contrast the two stories. :-) I got my books through Scholastic Club Shop.
 And for my 3rd grade readers this one is AR 3.1.
 These are available in my TPT store if you are interested.

Separator

10 comments:

  1. We use thinking maps too! This year we started using Write from the Beginning too. It uses thinking maps to organize writing.

    Live Laugh and Love to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  2. My school is obsessed with Thinking Maps and I love them! I actually was trying to explain something to my husband the other day and found myself drawing him a double-bubble map to get my point across! haha!

    XO - Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to "borrow" your contraction bridge map. My kids seem to b struggling with that and this will help. We do thinking mps and our kids love them. Tomorrow in science- a double bubble on cold blooded animals. We also do Write from the Beginning. I would love to see how you use yours in writing.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are a Thinking Maps school! I like Thinking Maps and think {if it's done right} it's a good way to keep some consistency through the grade levels.

    Tales of a Teacherista

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are a Thinking Maps school too! I LOVE them...and it's great if everyone actually does them so it's easier for kids throughout their schooling
    The Teachers’ Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  6. My school uses Thinking Maps too. Actually the whole county does. I have been trained and trained again on these. I think they're amazing when used correctly. Love the pictures.


    Randi @ Teach It With Class
    My TPT Store
    My Facebook Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally obsessed with Thinking Maps and we use Write from the Beginning too :) It has made a huge difference in our writing scores :) Great post! If you have time, please check out our $25 giftcard giveaway! :)

    Lisa :)
    Made In The Shade In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! I would love to read more about how you use thinking maps daily and regularly in all areas of your teaching. Thank you!! ~Heidi V.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I love the idea of your earth, continent, etc. bridge map. I did notice that the way it's set up doesn't work with the relating factor. As it reads now, it would be "Earth is the name of our planet; continent is the name of our North America; Country is the name of our U.S.A., etc. The words need to be switched around on all but the 1st one in order for it to make sense. My school is Obsessed with thinking maps also. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete