Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Winner and the Longest Day Ever

I'm finally on Spring Break! Thursday I had 38 students all day due to a sub shortage.  Has that ever happened to you? The sub didn't show and the teacher had her phone off for the training so didn't know they wanted her to come back. It was the longest day EVER! I don't understand why my district limits the number in the sub pool? Can it really hurt to have more names to call? Clearly we need more.

I'm off to the airport to go see my family in Palm Desert but I wanted to pop in and announce the winner of my new Splat the Cat Sings Flat book club packet is Susie Stallard!

I'll be using these the week we get back...
 
and I have a few more I am in the process of making packets for. I hope to get them done this week but I have promised myself I am going to relax and give myself some me time, too. The pool is calling me.

Crazy mom has requested an IEP for 8 AM the Monday we get back for no apparent reason. I think she is just doing it because she can.  So I am really trying NOT to think about the fun that awaits me on my return.

Hopefully I will fit in some blog reading time so I can catch up with you all.




Separator

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh how horrible! Your district needs a major backup plan. That is inexcusable. What if the teacher didn't have a cell phone? Unless they cover part of her cell phone plan so they can call her during the work day, I dont see why they can call her to come back. What if she was sick or something else? Why is it your responsibility and not your district?! In our district, the admin people have to cover a class if they can't get a sub. I'm sorry you have to deal with that!

    Teaching in the Tongass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, we had that happen twice last week! I don't know why they think it's okay to just split up classes. It's not like I even have places for them to sit. I guess I must have forgotten that teachers can do anything under any circumstance, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodness...seems like 38 students should be against the law!

    I agree, 8am Monday sounds like a power play. My guess is she won't show and then will demand a make-up meeting.

    Hang in there...Palm Desert sounds like a nice warm getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach at a private school and we only have subs when the "day off" is planned ahead. (Even that isn't guaranteed.) Yikes--if one of us is sick, then another teacher gets our class. Needless to say, most of us go to school when we are less than well. I didn't know that this happens in public districts; I empathize!

    Have a great break!!!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  5. 38 kids is insane! In our district, when a sub doesn't show, we split our class among the other first grade classrooms so the most any one teacher would have is 4 additional kids - TOPS! And even then, you also have the option to say, "Not today - thanks!"
    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 38?!?!?!?! Oh, Jenn!!!!!!!
    I cannot imagine. But on a happy note, it made your regular class seem a bit smaller, right?
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jenn - bless your heart..that is so crazy for sure! That would put me over the edge.. LOL I hope you have a wonderful time in the desert it is well deserved for sure. Be sure to have a glass of wine or fruity cocktail too. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete