Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween freebies and an opportunity to win

Last week we read Where's My Mummy, a cute book about a baby mummy who is not afraid of  the usual Halloween scariness but IS afraid of a mouse.

We made our own baby mummy and wrote about what our "mummy" does to help us when we are scared. You can download the writing paper here. I got this idea from Cara over at the First Grade Parade and tweaked slightly. I cut strips of manila paper 9 x1 inch and then the kid trimmed them to the size they wanted. For the black eyes I cut 1 x 2 inch rectangles and then told them to fold in half, cut off the corners and round. This is called the circle cut in TLC art and my kids are pros.

I also wanted to share a fun idea I got from my teammate, Toni. You put an item in the mystery bag and then have the kids take turns asking questions to try to narrow down the possibilities. It is great to develop deductive reasoning skills.
I do guide them a little, "If it is not black, what other color might it be?" Or, if it is not an animal or a toy, what else could it be?"  The class LOVES this so of course I hold it over them and tell them we may not have time if they are not being cooperative. Have I mentioned this class is one of my all-time hardest?? Okay, I know I have, too many times, but seriously, you'd have to see it to believe it. My blood pressure must be through the roof.

I was going to tell you what was in the bag but how about you play along instead? You can ask questions like the kids and I'll answer. I'll even give the FOLLOWER who gets the right answer an item from my TPT store.

P.S. I was right about the broken bones. Poor girl broke her wrist in 2 places. I also had to pass out a LICE notice today. The fun keeps coming...

Separator

20 comments:

  1. Cutest paper plate mummy ever! Great job!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer!
    Yes, it is edible. No, it is not clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it Halloween candy? I had to pass out a LICE notice last week...eeeeeekkkk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it Marshmallows? that's what snack I do when it's halloween with my kiddos. We make ghosts..boo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mummy...we did the toilet roll and wrapped it with a strip of white crepe paper...then googly eyes...yours can be hung!!!
    Is it heavy? Is it orange?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does the edible item resemble a "scarey" verses a "cute" Halloween character?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it the Halloween Pumpkin Peeps? Those are edible and super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. Macdonald got it! I use mini marshmallows and then we do an activity with them on Friday that I will post about later. Wow, that game went faster than I expected! Let me know what item you would like form my store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute book and a marvelous activity. For your creativity and wonderful posts, I am awarding you with the Blog on Fire Award. Head on over to my blog @ aseriesof3rdgradeevents.blogspot.com
    to get the details.
    Happy Blogging!
    Patti :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your baby mummy adaptation! I used in my classroom and the kids loved it, and it made a really cute bulletin board display.

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahah "is it a semicircle?"!!! I would have died. LOVE this game and idea! Too cute and totally pinning it! :)

    Hadar
    Miss Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  12. What Kind of easel do you have there? It looks like it is nice and simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cute writing activity. I am going to share it with my readers on the Read.Explore.Learn. Facebook page tonight.

    ReplyDelete