Thursday, May 26, 2011

"Classity, Class!"

Have you heard of Whole Brain Teaching? When I first started using it the name was Power Teaching. Other teachers and parents get a big kick out of my call-response style.
I asked someone to quickly video me today to give you an idea.
Forgive the quality, it was very spur of the moment.

This is called Class-Yes. I say, "Class, Class" and they respond "YES, YES!" copying whatever cadence, volume, etc I use. I make sure to mix it up to keep them on their toes.
video

 When they are frozen and looking at me they get a smiley. If not, they get a frowney. If the smileys are winning at the end of the day the class gets a reward. At the beginning of the year we danced to Dr. Jean's Tooty Ta. Now they enjoy playing Heads Up 7-Up.

video
 
Another Whole Brain Teaching technique is Teach-OK. Basically a turn and talk with hand-motions and call backs.
video

Here are our rules (again with hand-motions to get that TPI in!) In the beginning of the year we review them multiple times a day. We recite them in different voices to keep it interesting (robot, opera, slow-motion, etc.)

video

If you are interested in learning more you can go to the Whole Brain Teaching website or search youtube and teachertube for more video examples.

I hope you enjoyed a glimpse into my teaching style.

Separator