Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pete the Cat Cause & Effect

As promised, here is the 2nd Pete the Cat activity I mentioned. Our comprehension skill this week was cause and effect.  I first taught the skill using the read aloud from HM, Charles Tiger. This concept is pretty confusing for 1st graders so I thought using Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes, a story they loved and understood well, might make it a little easier. I created a simplified flow map with a sentence frame. The signal word because is highlighted to help them remember that a cause will follow. You can grab this worksheet here.




I modeled how to draw the cause and effect in the boxes and fill in the sentence frame correctly. I had images of Pete that I had drawn that they could glue on if they preferred but most of my class wanted to draw a close-up of the shoes like I did in my model. Here are the small Pete pics if you'd like them.
Small Pete

Then off they went to work with their partner. They had to:
1. decide which cause/effect example from the story they wanted to use
2. make sure both partners participated
3. use resources in the room or sound out the words

I am so happy it is a long weekend! I will most likely spend a lot of it working on school stuff and blog designs but at least I can do it in my pjs!

Separator

10 comments:

  1. These are great! Thank you for sharing :)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Jenn!
    How do you get that heart to show up in your comment? That's so cool.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. For cause and effect you can also use 1/2 of a multi flow map as another option. I love when a text hits home for kids and makes them understand what you are trying to teach! Love this!
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used your other pete the cat idea on friday and they LOVED it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this adorable activity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a top ten award winner! check out my blog post and then claim your award button! I heart you!
    Reagan at tunstall's teaching tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, too! I added your blog to my Top Ten post here:
    http://firstgradeblueskies.blogspot.com/2011/09/oops.html
    I think you are awesome!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun!!! Thanks for sharing Jenn!
    Lory
    Lory's Page

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thanks for the nominations!

    GradeONEderful,
    The heart comment numbers were created by my wonderful husband spending an evening tinkering with code!! It is not an easy feat apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. using this this week!!!! Just what I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete